Saturday, March 28, 2009

1 John 1:9

“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from
all unrighteousness.”


Verses eight, nine and ten comprise something of a spiritual sandwich. On either side of
verse nine we have this comparison:


















Comparison
vs. 8
vs. 10

“If we say that we have no sin,”

“If we say that we have not sinned,”

“we deceive ourselves,”

“we make Him a liar,”


“and the Truth is not in us.”

“and His Word is not in us”




We deceive ourselves? Yes, for the scriptures declare that “there is none righteous, no not
one:” Rom. 3:10.



We make Him a liar? Yes, for God has said that “all have sinned and come short of the glory
of God;” Rom.3:23.



Look at the other side of the coin. “if we confess our sins” But if we do not confess our sins.
. .a deafening silence. . . the message we are sending to our Heavenly Father: “I have no
sin. . .I have not sinned.”



“Well, God is omniscient: He already knows all about my life; He is aware of my sins!” True.
But by the same token, shall we presume every sinner to be saved, apart from repentance
and faith, because God is aware of his sin?



Certainly the Lord is aware of our sins. But the great need is that of our own awareness of
our transgressions; the results of such, being the confessing of the same. Before I believe
that God will forgive and cleanse, I must first believe that sin is present - and act upon that
knowledge by confession!



While He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all
unrighteousness, it remains imperative that we confess, that we acknowledge the very
existence of those sins. Confession is more than awareness, it is a matter of the will. We
must be willing to yield ourselves in obedience and submission. If we are unwilling to
become honest before God, then do we harbor a spirit of resistance. Though He be willing to
cleanse us from all unrighteousness, He cannot. He can not cleanse that which will not be
made clean.



We must meet with God - under His terms and not our own. We must align ourselves with
Him - against our sins. We must acknowledge the spirit of unrighteousness within us; to
further understand that it is He alone who is able cleanse us from that unrighteousness. All
attempts toward self cleansing are futile; moreover, in so doing we are resisting, and not
allowing God to do that which He has promised.



Mortify the Flesh.



“But what can I do in order to accomplish such a task?” Actually, our text well illustrates
that which we seek: “confess our sins,” admit first to ourselves; believe that we have
sinned; then acknowledge them before the Lord. “He is faithful and just to forgive us our
sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” I ask you, what better way is there to
mortify the flesh than to confess its existence; to throw open our heart’s door; to expose the
sin that is nesting there. Is not the same Spirit who quickens and makes alive, equally
equipped to mortify the old man of the flesh?



The lack of confessing sin: a hindrance to prayer.



If my brother is distressed or troubled; if he is faltering along the Christian journey: How
may I expect to pray for him, for God to intervene in his life, if I am not allowing Him to do
so in my own?



David knew full well of those things whereof we speak. Though John would not pen I John
1:9 for many years, yet it is clearly illustrated in the prayer of repentance found in Psalm
51. “Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Thy lovingkindness: according unto the
multitude of Thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from mine
iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is
ever before me.” David’s sins are before him; he acknowledges them, first to himself, then
to God. In verse one he praises the Lord for His tender mercies, that He is well able to blot
out his transgressions. Both Psalms 51:2 and I John 1:9 are in agreement: “Wash me
thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. He is faithful and just to forgive
us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”



“He is just. . .to forgive. . .to cleanse.” David further declares: “Against Thee. . .have I
sinned. . .that Thou mightest be justified when Thou speakest, and be clear when Thou
judgest.” Our text declares, “If we confess. . .He is. . .just to forgive, cleanse.” God is
absolutely just. The blood of His Son paid in full the Everlasting Covenant. It is signed,
sealed and delivered. By it, our sin has been lawfully and judicially put away; by it, the door
of Reconciliation has been opened and we are bidden to freely enter!



One other thought: The writer who penned our text was the disciple/apostle John. He is
considered by all to have been the closest to our Lord; in the innermost circle of fellowship.
He is that disciple “whom Jesus loved.” To him was entrusted the responsibility of penning
the book of the Revelation. Yet this man writes, not if you, but “If we confess our sins, He is
faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”



Copyright 2007, by Darius Stewart.

No comments: