Monday, March 30, 2009

Rambling Through the Scriptures

As many of you will attest, I resemble that remark! That is, much of my writings resemble that of an octopus reaching out with her many arms. To write sanely, directly, straight-forward and to-the-point is not exactly my style! Anyone catering to an easy reading format may become bewildered, or at least weary of attempting to discern what I’m trying to say. Hopefully there are others who will stop and in a state of wonderment ask themselves - ‘What is he saying?’ Is there a method to his madness? or a madness to his method? As an infant my mother spoon-fed me Pablum (you will have to be approaching your elder years to know that one). A New-Born needs the milk of the Word but somewhere along the line the older Christian should learn to use a knife and fork - you know - to cut his rib eye or T-bone steak! “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”

I make no apology in confessing that my intentions are far more than merely imparting information. I would ever so gently hope to lead a few folk into the almost forgotten gift of meditation. One who spends time meditating in the scriptures and meditating upon the Lord will not find “praying without ceasing” to be some strange alien practice!

As to my rambling through the scriptures. I have for some time helped care for a small house dog while his master is away. In his early years he did not seem to care for the outdoors at all: but in recent times he roams (rambles) around the yard, sniffing at this and that - he’s learning to smell the roses! It’s becoming increasingly difficult to get him back in the house! He’s become familiar with the surroundings and has come to love being out side! He has made for himself a special place to curl and lay down!

I remember in my early years as a Christian, that it seemed that the scriptures were a high looming and intimidating wall; the Bible, as it was, seemed a place to be feared. But the Lord is my Shepherd! He leads me into; maketh me to lie down in green pastures (even to the point of rolling in the grass, if you please!) My dear friend, the Bible is a fertile place, a green pasture where one may freely roam if he so desires! It is a familiar place; a place to walk along side the Shepherd - and goodness and mercy are ever-present, constant traveling companions. I don’t know how to tell you - rambling through the scriptures is an exceedingly glorious experience - never knowing where it will lead; what the Creator will unfold; how he will (seemingly) present anew the Gospel; revealing Himself and His Mercies; unveiling the wonders of His Grace; giving insight into His Person; making Jesus real. . .! However we are quick to say that the scriptures are to be regarded soberly, obediently, and in great reverence. We should take off the shoes, for we stand on holy ground. But in saying that, the Word of God is a letter from Home! May we read it with anticipation, lingering on its every word! Handle it carefully: it is a treasure without price. It is abundant life; eternal, and exceedingly PRECIOUS!

No comments: