Sunday, March 29, 2009

Holy, Acceptable

Jesus offered His body a dying sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, in worshipful service. Therefore, we are to present our bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, in worshipful service; and that is deemed reasonable.

Christ made an offering of His body, even His soul, according to Isa.53:10. But there is another side to this coin. We find two brothers in the first book of the Bible; Cain and Abel. Both made offerings unto God: “And the Lord had respect unto Abel and to his offering: But unto Cain and to his offering he hadnot respect.” (Notice how man and his offering are identified and judged as one.) Here we see that not only is an offering to be made, but it likewise requires acceptance!

“. . .the blood of Christ, who through the Eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God” “He appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself” Heb.9:14a, 26b.

Christ offered himself, He bore our sin and God has accepted that offering; we are by Faith, legally and lawfully made free from the guilt and penalty of sin; we are declared holy and acceptable by the Triune Council of Heaven.

Now! Romans 12:1 urges us to present, not offer, our bodies a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable unto God. Actually the term “living sacrifice” is an unusual combination; “sacrifice” is most strongly identified with death. May we approach it this way: we as believers are the “living dead;” Paul declares, “I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live:” The “living dead.” “Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord” Rom. 6:11. If I am to present myself unto God in a way that is holy and acceptable, then I must needs deny the Old Man of the Flesh; to reckon him dead that I may be alive unto God. In the previous chapter we are shown how we were grafted into Christ; we are identified and made one with Him. Understand, in this respect, that offering time is over!

Perhaps we can illustrate it this way: It has become a routine in my household, to receive advertisements from money-lending institutions. “Let us loan you the cash you need; allow us to send you a credit card; You’re pre-approved! Your acceptance is guaranteed!”

In Ephesians 1:6 we find that “He hath made us accepted in the beloved.” This means that we do not come before God to make an offering of ourselves. This would necessitate a judgment on the part of God to determine the acceptability of man and offering. No, we are pre-approved if you please! Ouracceptance is guaranteed; and that upon the merits of and the acceptance of the offering of Christ by the Father.

Present your bodies a living sacrifice - to God; for He has already declared you holy and acceptable,when in faith you were made part of that Eternal Covenant secured by the blood of Christ!

Upon this Truth, we are likewise invited, urged, to come boldly to the throne of Grace; to enter the Holiest Place without fear! Selah!

Now that’s all well and good, but it’s the practical application, the “how to” that hampers my thinking. How do I accomplish the “reasonable service” that is required? A living sacrifice, that’s acceptable to God? And just how am I supposed to “present” it to Him? I am a finite creature, earth-bound for the time being. If it were possible that I might stand before His presence just now. . .why, there’s nothing that I could bring in-hand to present to Him! And just how am I to perform “reasonable service” to the Eternal God? So much for doctrine and theology; I need an example; to see this thing put into action!

O.K. Let’s turn to Philippians chapter four.

“Notwithstanding ye have well done, that ye did communicate [sugkoinoneo, Gr., to share in company with, have fellowship] with my affliction. Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only. For even in Thessalonica ye sent once and again unto my necessity. Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account. But I have all and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, asacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God” Phil. 4:13-18.

What did Paul just declare about his brethren? “having received . . .the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God? And what was asked of the Roman church in chapter twelve? Present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God?Compare the scriptures. I would say to you that those people absolutely fulfilled Romans 12:1&2.

O.K. What about “present your bodies a living sacrifice?” They gave from their poverty. They willingly placed themselves in physical need; sacrificing, doing without that they might show their love and concern for the beloved apostle.

What then, about “reasonable service?” Matthew’s gospel should give the answer we need. “When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory. . .Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink; I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw thee we an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasamuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me” Matt. 25:31,34-40.

Can we rightly apply this passage to Paul and his Philippian brethren? Let’s see.

I was hungry. . .

“everywhere and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.”

I was a stranger. . .

I can hear one of the “pillars of the church” now --? Should we help Paul? After all, he’s not a part of our local congregation! He’s in Rome - and in prison, of all things! “when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only.”

I was sick. . .

“ye did communicate [share in company with, have fellowship] with my affliction.

I was in prison. . .and ye came unto me. . .

“having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you.”

The present that they presented to Paul was “an odour of a sweet smell. . .wellpleasing to God.” In fact, we might call it “reasonable service,” though we could regard it as “going beyond the call of duty.” But how is it “service” unto God? “And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, [Paul] ye have done it unto me.” What you have done for my servant Paul: your love for him, demonstrated by giving out of your poverty, communicating [sharing in company with, having fellowship] with his affliction. . .These things I take personally. You did it for Paul, but in so doing, did it unto me! And that, my dear friend, qualifies for “reasonable service,” holy, acceptable unto God.

O.K. The Philippian church supplied the need of the Apostle. Paul’s observation: “But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus!” If they met the requirements of Romans 12:1 then more than material things will be supplied them. As they fulfill Romans 12:1 then shall not verse 2 be the meeting of a need? “Be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind. . .be ye: meaning the Spirit shall accomplish it. And for what end? Why, to prove what is that good and “acceptable” and perfect will of God! The two go hand in hand!

“but my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. . .

“let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in the time of need” Phil. 4:19, Hebrews 4:16.

No comments: