Sunday, March 29, 2009

Is There a Doctor in the House?

“Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage” Ga. 5:1.

The guilt of sin will either drive one away from God; or the guilt of sin will drive one into the arms of God. The “absence of guilt” (a seared conscience) will (at least from appearances) leave one in no man’s land, or perhaps in an uncaring, unbelieving state of compromise or complacency.

Sin. It’s strong enough to bind a Samson

What! Shall I allow the guilt of sin an occasion to encompass my mind, to engulf me, to strangle me, to destroy me? God forbid! Am I to acknowledge my sins and reckon myself a sinner, deserving nothing less than the wrath of God and the sentence of death? Yes! Am I to lie as one who is impotent, wallowing in self pity and in the gloomy depths of despair and misery? Shall I become so depressed that no medication from the pharmacies of man can bring relief? Is there a physician in the house who can prescribe a reliable remedy? Yes, there is! Our Lord is the Physician and He has the therapy for our impounding guilt. (Therapy, remedy, healing, cure.) “If we confess [the guilt of] our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” I John 1:9. “He [Christ] is a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. . .Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows. . .the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. . .it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief” Isaiah 53. The Lord is just. He will not lay the guilt of my sin upon His own Son, and then require it again at mine own hand. No, one price, one perfect sacrifice was all that was demanded. Jesus has taken the weight and the burden and the guilt of our sins upon Himself. What cause have we to bear them again? He that is “faithful and just” stands ready “to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” Acknowledge within yourself the guilt of sin - and then take it quickly before the Throne of Grace, the Mercy Seat, whereon sits your Intercessor: behold his blood which paid in full the awful debt of your sin. Refuse the entanglement of the yoke of bondage! Take His yoke upon you; receive His Rest; and Christ Himself, the joy of your salvation. Embrace Him and the comfort of His fellowship!

If there was one who might have utterly drowned himself in sorrow, it was Paul, who regarded himself the “chief of sinners” I Tim. 1:15. His testimony against himself: “and many of the saints did I shut up in prison. . .when they were put to death, I gave my voice against them. And I punished them oft in every synagogue, and compelled them to blaspheme; and being exceedingly mad against them, I persecuted them even unto strange cities” Acts 26:10,11.“But I obtained mercy. . .and the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus” I Tim. 1:13b,16.

Consider the last will and testament of the apostle Paul: Did he say, “I have triumphed in every battle? No, it was, “I have fought a good fight.” (Although the scripture declares, “Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ.) Did he say, I have kept the law?” No, it was, “I have kept the faith.” Paul (even as Abraham) believed God, and it was accounted unto him for righteousness. Reckoning a righteousness imputed by faith, Paul concludes that there is a crown of righteousness,which the Lord, the righteous judge shall give him; and to all that love his appearing. “And behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be” Rev. 22:12.

Is There a Doctor in the House?

You are brought forth into the Heavenly Clinic.

Fret not about the cost - you are covered by His “Life Assurance” policy.

You are the patient of the Great Physician.

He, in Eternal Wisdom, has diagnosed your condition.

You have been placed in His “Intensive Care.”

Your “heart” He is constantly monitoring.

His finger is always on your pulse.

He carefully records every change, no matter how slight.

He need not ask, “Where is the hurt?” for He bears with you every pain.

If “surgery” is required, know that His hand alone will hold the scalpel.

Understand that only that which does not bring glory to Him will be removed.

Take comfort: hands that once bore nails, now bear the healing balm.

He who neither slumbers nor sleeps is ever by your side, watching over you.

Therefore, trust Him, and Rest in the power of His Presence.

No comments: