Sunday, March 29, 2009

Looking Again at the 23rd Psalm

The Lord is my shepherd...

“For thus saith the Lord God: Behold, I, even I will both search my sheep, and seek them out . . . will deliver them out . . . will bring them out and gather them . . . will bring them to their own land” Ezek. 34:11. “And ye my flock, the flock of my pasture, are men, and I AM your God, saith the Lord God” Ezek. 34:31.

I shall not want . . .

“And I will . . .feed them upon the mountains of Israel by the rivers . . . I will feed them in good pasture” Ezek. 34:13-14. “The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer . . .he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour” II Samuel 22:2-3.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures . . .

“there shall they lie in good fold . . . I will feed my flock, and I will cause them to lie down . . .” Ezek. 34:14. “And Sharon shall be a fold of flocks, and the valley of Achor [trouble] a place for the herds to lie down in, for my people have sought me” Isa. 64:10. (Notice: Achor is the valley of trouble. Even in the midst of trouble the sheep will be fed; they shall lie down; for they are under the watch-care of the Shepherd!)

He leadeth me beside still waters . . .

“In that day shall there be a fountain opened to the house of David . . . Zec. 13:1. “I give waters in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert, to give drink to my people, my chosen” Isa. 43:20. “For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters” Rev. 7:17. “And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely” Rev. 22:17.

He restoreth my soul . . .

“I will seek that which was lost, and bring again that which was driven away, and will bind up that which was broken, and will strengthen that which was sick . . .” Ezek. 34:16. “I waited patiently for the Lord; and he heard my cry. He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings” Psalm 40:1-2.

He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness, for his name's sake

“I will bring you out from among the people, and will gather you out . . .plead with you face to face . . . I will cause you to pass under the rod, and I will bring you into the bond of the covenant. . .” “In mine holy mountain, in the mountain of the height of Israel, saith the Lord God, there shall all the house of Israel serve me . . . I will accept them . . .I will be sanctified in you before the heathen . . .” “And ye shall know that I AM the Lord, when I have wrought with you for my name’s sake . . .” Ezek. 20:44.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me. . .

“And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley . . .And ye shall flee to the valley. . .and the Lord my God shall come, and all the saints with thee . . . And it shall come to pass in that day, that the light shall not be clear, nor dark. . .” Zec. 14:4-6.

Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. . .

“Then shall the Lord go forth and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle” Zec. 14:3. “This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy Word hath quickened me” Psalm 119:50. “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?” Psalm 27:1.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies. . .

“Behold, my servants shall eat, but ye shall be hungry: behold, my servants shall drink, but ye shall be thirsty: behold, my servants shall rejoice, but ye shall be ashamed: behold, my servants shall sing for joy of heart . . .” Isa. 65:13-14.

Thou anointest my head with oil: my cup runneth over. . .

“And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced” Zec. 12:10. “ The Lord is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup: thou maintainest my lot” Psalm 16:5.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life. . .

“For he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee” Heb. 13:5. “It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness” Lam. 3:22-23.

And I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

“One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to be hold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in his temple” Psalm 27:4. “I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you unto myself; that where I AM there ye may be also” John 14:2b,3. “For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind. But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy. And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people” Isa. 65:17-19a.

No comments: