Monday, March 30, 2009

The Spirit of Forgiveness

The fable is told of two young Arabians who were journeying across the desert. Amidst the trip they entered into a heated argument, whereby one of the men slapped the other across the face. The offended dismounted his camel; bent himself down to the sand and began to write: “Today, my best friend slapped me across the face.” As they continued on their way, by and by they came upon an oasis. As they stopped to drink and refresh themselves, the fellow whose face had been slapped, slipped and fell over into the water, finding it to be a sinkhole or quicksand. His friend, seeing that he was sinking, reached over and grabbing him by the arm, pulled him to safety. Finding a large rock, he who had been rescued took his knife and began to inscribe this message: “Today my best friend saved my life.” I do not understand, queried the friend; you write upon the rock that I saved your life, while immediately after I slapped your face, you wrote in the sand. Replied the friend, “You saved my life, and I intend it to be recorded as a memorial in the rock, and upon my heart - that all who see it will know. . .” Though I was offended when you struck my face, yet wrote I in the sand, that it quickly be forgiven and forgotten: that which is written in the sand is swept away by the desert winds. Indeed I did purposely inscribe it in the sand - but not upon my heart. I refuse to put into jeopardy so binding a friendship because of one incident. We were in a heated argument. It well might have been I who slapped your face!

Dear friend! When we are offended by another, let us write the offence upon the sand, and not upon the rock. When good is done unto us may we write it both upon the Rock - and upon our hearts! Perchance we are again the object of some wrong-doing by that same friend: that which was written in the sand is forgiven and forgotten; while that which is written on the Rock and upon the heart is a Memorial, a constant reminder of a strong and binding friendship.

“And be ye kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you” Eph. 4:32.

No comments: