Monday, March 30, 2009

The Cross and the 23rd Psalm

Though Jesus be “oppressed and afflicted,” though “brought as a lamb to the slaughter,” yet does He own the Lord as “My Shepherd.”

Though He be “forsaken” of the God of all Provision, yet may He cry, “I shall not want.”

Though He be given “gall for my meat; and in my thirst vinegar to drink; yet of the Lord does He affirm: “He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters.”

Though His “strength faileth” and His “bones are consumed,” yet is His claim: “He restoreth My soul.”

Though having been “delivered into the hands of men” for the suffering of the cross; yet does He pronounce that God “leadeth Me in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.”

Though having cried from the “valley of the shadow of death,” “My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken me”: yet does He confess, “I will fear no evil: for Thou art with Me.”

Though “wounded, bruised” and receiving many “stripes” yet does He proclaim: “Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort Me.”

Though His garment be stripped from Him: although no hospitality be shown at all; yet “Thou preparest a table before Me in the presence of mine enemies.

Though upon His head there be a crown of thorns placed in mockery, yet does Jesus recognize His God-given Kingship: “Thou anointest My head with oil.”

Though He submissively “drink the cup,” yet does He foresee the cup of reward and blessing: “My cup runneth over.”

Though the wicked “took counsel together against Me, they devised to take away my life:” “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life.”

Though “His own” provide “no room” for His coming: though they “receive Him not:”

yet He rejoices: “and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.”

The Events Surrounding the Crucifixion - A Time of Struggle

Christ went to meet Judas, the servants and officers of the Jews, and the band of Roman soldiers. Hesubmitted Himself into their hands. He was led before Annas. He was led before Caiaphas and the Sanhedrin. He was led unto Pilate. He was led unto Herod. He was led back to Pilate. He was led to the whipping post. He was led to Calvary. This entire scene was one of struggle. Judas struggled to betray Him and then reverse his betrayal, ending in self destruction. Peter struggled to follow Christ and yet denied Him three times. Annas, Caiaphas and the other Jews struggled to find reason to convict and condemn Him. Pilate struggled to free himself from passing sentence upon the Lord. The only one whostruggled not; who remained in control; who was at peace - was the Prince of Peace! At peace, because He was in complete submission to the Father’s will. At peace, because His heart was set on redeeming and reconciling us to His Sovereign.

No comments: