Saturday, April 11, 2009

Ye Cannot Serve the Lord

An interesting conversation between Joshua and the children of Israel: “Choose you this day whom ye will serve.” “Therefore will we also serve the Lord; for He is our God.” “Ye cannot serve the Lord: for He is an Holy God;” it would appear that the “Christian Service” of our day is far removed from that of which Joshua spoke. How indeed can sinful man truly be said to “serve the Thrice-Holy God?” None were more thorough at the practice of religious service than the Pharisees, but we know full well that they in no wise knew anything of serving a Holy God. The cry goes forth in our day: “We’re going to serve the Lord; we’re going to be witnesses for Him!” Really? Again, how can a sinful man serve a Holy God? “And Joshua said unto the people, ye are witnesses against yourselves that ye have chosen you the Lord, to serve Him” If they would own Him as Lord, they must first confess their sinfulness; that they have been unfaithful, unprofitable servants. To now choose to serve the Lord must needs indicate that they have previously chosen otherwise. Will you truly serve the Lord and Him only? “Now therefore put away, said he, the strange gods which are among you.” What sort of repentance is it that continues to hold on to the object of the sin? Once sin is confessed and its object “put away,” then, continues Joshua, “incline your heart unto the Lord God of Israel.” If you would “serve God”, first put away “mammon.” Notice carefully the response of the people: “The Lord our God will we serve, and His voice we will obey. “A wise “pastor” is Joshua to his people. He has put before them the urgency of the matter: “choose ye this day.” He has made known unto them the seriousness of it; that God is Holy, that man is sinful and is in no position to rightly serve Him. That the first step in becoming a “witness” for the Lord is to be a witness against self - that they put away the strange gods from themselves - that they incline their hearts unto God. Now they should be in the condition and position to hear the voice of God, to discern His will: to be submissive to that will in obedience! How futile to charge the people to obey God! Obedience will come, but only as the heart is rightly prepared - even as these scriptures have shown us.

Do the New Testament scriptures bear out that which is taught in the Old? “if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” I John 1:9.

“if we confess our sins.” How can a sinful man serve a Holy God? First, be a witness against ourselves: Lord, I am an unfaithful servant; I have harbored unrighteousness in my heart. Because I am unfaithful, I am also become an unprofitable servant. I realize in confessing my sin, that I must choose: will I serve You? Then I must put away the “strange gods” of self will. I must “incline” my heart unto the Lord God of Israel.” “He is faithful”; He has judicially “put away” my unrighteousness. I am cleansed from sin. But how shall my daily walk be made clean if I do not acknowledge, if I do not witness against my unfaithfulness to the Faithful One? How shall He cleanse that which will not be made clean? How shall I “witness for the Lord” if I will not witness against myself?

May we end with these thoughts. Self-examination will not yield true repentance. It is looking unto Jesus - seeking His face - allowing the Light of Righteousness to shine into our hearts. Not only can He reveal the truth, but He is the only remedy for our sinfulness. What about that scripture: “For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged?” I Cor. 11:30. This is true. But it must not be done according to our standards, our evidence. Self evaluation will not suffice. Right judgment may only be rendered as the Holy Spirit rightly discerns our hearts. “Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the Way Everlasting.” Psalms 139:23.

No comments: