Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Lamb of God, Forsaken

“My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” That men should forsake Jesus He need not make inquiry. But may we recount His birth; His life: the struggles, the blessings, the cross: think on these things. . .

His conception, of the Holy Ghost. “. . .for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost” Matt. 1:20.

“And John bear record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him” John 1:32.

“And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness” Luke 4:1. “Then the devil leaveth him, and behold, angels came and ministered unto him” Matt. 4:11, Mark 1:13. “And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee:” Luke 4:14. “And he was withdrawn from them about a stone’s cast, and kneeled down and prayed, Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine be done. And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him” Luke 22:41,43.

“There shall no evil befall thee, neither any plague come nigh unto thy dwelling. For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone” Psalm 91:10-12. Satan quotes this scripture minus ‘in all thy ways’. “Thy ways” being, “Then said I, Lo, I come ( in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will O God” Heb.10:7. His ways were perfect and according to Divine Will.

“. . .lest thou dash thy foot against a stone?” Yet the scriptures declare: “And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel” Gen. 3:15.

“Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name. He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him” Psalm 91:14,15.

“My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? Why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?” Psalm 22:1.

“My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” Where is the Spirit by whom He was conceived; the Spirit Who descended upon Him like a dove? The Spirit who led Him into the wilderness; in whose power He left the wilderness for Galilee? Where are the angels who at that time and oft strengthened and ministered unto Him in His hour of need? The Spirit cannot be His Comfort in this hour; the hour when the Father is pouring out His wrath upon Jesus as He bears our sins on the cross. The angels can be of no strength, nor can they minister unto Him; they must stand afar off. The Father, for this hour cannot, will not, fulfill His promise to ‘deliver Him; to set Him on high; to give Him an answer; to be with Him in trouble; to deliver and honour Him. . .

For a moment, forsaken. . .but then raised up of the Father; given a name above every name, His prayer answered, “Glorify thy Son, that thy Son may glorify thee!”

No comments: