Saturday, April 11, 2009

Taken for Granted

Whether we term it table grace, asking (saying) the blessing, returning thanks - how prone we are to perform it as a mere ritual. It may have become little more than a practice, a tradition. How thoughtless our thanksgiving; how far from ‘coming boldly to the Throne of Grace!’

Let us go upon the hillside with Jesus. We have come to feed upon His Word. Are we hungry? No matter! We have food in hand or set before us on the table. We are as the lad with the five loaves and two fishes. Shall we hoard these victuals to our breast? Or shall we give, entrust them into the hands of the Lord? The blessing is not ours to give, but His. Do you realize that there are two prayers involved in ‘asking the blessing?’ Ours, first, unto Christ; secondly, His unto the Father! In the breaking of the bread in Christ’s hands, and the returning of the same to us, multiplied and divided, with His blessing added to the meal, scripture is put into practice: My God is supplying our need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus! We might call it ‘living from hand to mouth!’ or living from His Hand to our mouths. “Give us this day our daily bread.” Christ is Provider and Provision, Supplier and Supply, Nourisher and Nourishment.

Thank God, Christ is our Intercessor, praying the Father in our behalf. What is His prayer? “Thank You, oh My Father, for this my servant, my friend, who often seeks to enter My presence with prayer, praise and thanksgiving. Or could it be, Oh my Father I come in behalf of my needy servant and friend who has sorely neglected to come into my Presence with prayer, praise, thanksgiving. How needful is he of your Mercies and Grace, but he does not come. . .

No comments: